Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tips on how to get a massage.

Many people who are getting a massage for the first time ask me how they should prepare, or what they should bring.  Here are some suggestions on what massage therapists appreciate from their clients, and ways for you to get the most out of your massage.  I've come across several Do and Don't lists lately, but instead of commanding, I'm asking Please and Thank you.

Please:
  • If it's your first time with a new therapist, arrive 5-10 minutes early to get settled in, fill out the intake form, and discuss any pain you have. 
  • Inform the therapist if you have any open sores anywhere.  It's summertime, bug bites happen.
  • Are you sick?  Call to cancel your appointment as soon as you can. Massage therapists shouldn't work when they're sick, it's unethical.
  • Wear comfortable shoes.  At Moon Valley, there are stairs to descend after the massage.  I would feel horrible if you came in wearing heels, got all relaxed and took a tumble on the steps afterwards
  • Let me know about any major surgeries or injuries you've had within the last 5-10 years so I can modify the treatment accordingly.
  • Talking is okay, but not required.  I'm happy to let you drift off in to relaxation, or even to sleep!  But I also understand if you enjoy talking.  I'll take your lead, if you want to talk, great!  If not, I will focus all my attention on helping you relax. 
  • Jewelry is beautiful, but unnecessary for a massage.  Please remove it before the session begins. I wouldn't want to get it all oily, or disrupt the flow if I have to ask you to take it off.
  • Ladies, I'm not offended your hairy legs or armpits.  I too get lazy with the razor and let my own legs get stubbly now and then.
  • Your safety is our priority.  If something doesn't feel right, either physically, or mentally, speak up!  I've heard of some recent news where women were molested by therapists who were practicing illegally.  Although I assure you that wouldn't happen here, please be smart when you go to a new therapist.  Look for a license posted in the waiting room or massage room, in Missouri, it's the law to publicly display this information with a picture.  Also, look online for reviews to help you make your decision about wether or not to go to a particular therapist.  If you feel unsafe, or in danger, ask to end the session immediately.  If someone ever tells you "I need to do this to help you heal" after you've informed them to stop, that's bullshit.  It's our ethical duty to listen to you and respect your feelings. 
Thank You!
Ways to thank us.
  • At Moon Valley we do accept tips, but they're not expected. A typical gratuity for a massage is about 20%.     
  • The best compliment for any therapist, is for you to tell your friends.  Even a shout out on Facebook makes us feel warm and fuzzy. 
  • We also love seeing people come out of the massage room with a blissful look on their face.
Take these tips into consideration and your next massage will surely be a huge success, for you and your therapist!


No comments:

Post a Comment