Sunday, June 13, 2010

discovery!

  All week while near Kansas City, I was searching for the local flavor.  I ended up in Zona Rosa one night, which proved to be a nice area to walk around outside, and a small park with fountains and live Jazz music.   All the shops I found were mega chains though, which wasn't quite what I was looking for.  The next night I went out to a different area and found mega chains, but no park.
  Finally on my last night I was on my way back to the State Park where I was staying and saw signs for a winery in Weston.  Only 2 miles away!  Drove to Weston and had a glass of Norton at the Pirtle Winery in their wine garden.  Walked through the historic downtown to some antique stores, got a kick out of the Mantique Store for Old Geezers, it wasn't open but there was a "display" of cast iron bathtubs, old tools, wagon wheels and picket fences in the front yard.  Weston also has Weston Brewing Company.  There was live music on the patio so I tasted their  IPAand sat on the patio.  The bar is down in the original lager cellar (built in 1842) with a vaulted limestone ceiling.  It was quite impressive and I felt lucky to have stumbled upon this town....  not a mega store in sight!
  If you like history and old towns, you would probably like Weston.

No comments:

Post a Comment