Tuesday, October 19, 2010

when all else fails, forgive

I carry guilt about the way I've treated two of my oldest friends. 
With one, we have overcome how mean we were to each other and have moved on.  We still have our drama moments, but many times we both end up apologizing about it.  

The relationship with my other friend is still tender even into our thirties.  When emotionally challenged by the other, we fall into the same roles we had as teenagers.  When this happens, I feel  ashamed.  My intent was to approach the situation with compassion and love, but I end up sounding pushy and frustrated.  I want to tell her I'm on her side but the more I try to vocalize that, the more I get shut out.  The more I get shut out, the guiltier I feel about my inability to give her what she needs.

I try my best to make things right when maybe I don't need to make any thing.  Maybe I need to forgive myself and let the cards lay where they fall.  

When forgiveness occurs, there is room created for positive change.

No comments:

Post a Comment